Thursday, June 3, 2010

Crooked End Farm

"Travel: ORIGIN Middle English:

Variant of TRAVAIL and originally in the same sense."- Webster

The following day we took our time reaching our next wwoof assignment: Crooked End Farm. We stopped at the Lantony Abby a 12th century relic with silent pillars and rock walls all around. The Abbys' had a hotel on site since the 1760's and the Bar has only been open for100 years. Matt played his guitar in a tucked away corner and the sound echoed throughout bringing with it a bit of home. Down at the cozy pub we raised our glasses in honor of beer-brewing monks everywhere, shared a Market Plate of cheese and pickles and were on our way to Crooked End in Ruardeen in England's west midlands.

From the moment we pulled into town I had a bad feeling about it. Sorry Ruardeen, no hard feelings please, you're just a little rundown, a little depressed. I wonder what happened to you? I know the tanked economy has hit small towns in a hard way, but it seems like you’ve been down for a while….

When we got to the farm the welcome we received from our host was luke-warm at best. Filled with apprehension towards our coming days I bid my farewell to Captain Davies and seriously considered calling after him to turn around as I watched him drive away. Our host quickly introduced us to her very sweet (but a little too-perky if you ask me) assistant who led us to our shabby dwelling to drop off our bags and then through a quick tour of the farm.

Remember what I said about the Hatch? Everywhere we looked something was beautiful and interesting- I would say the opposite was true at Crooked End. Granted they've only been up and running for a couple of years and our hosts both have other jobs to pay the bills and young children to contend with so I know I shouldn’t be too hard on them. I don't really want to get into it actually. I'll just say I thought the place lacked structure, was messy, dirty (yes I know it's a farm but seriously…) and I was very happy to be back on a bus 4 (seemingly long) days later.

In defense of our time spent at Crooked End I will say that we met two very sweet French woofers, fed baby sheep from a bottle, went for some beautiful long walks in the countryside, had my first tractor driving lesson and made it to dart night down at the local. Pretty good I guess for an otherwise bunk detour.

1 comment:

  1. great blog liat! reading through your posts gives me a pretty good idea what you're experiencing, and it sounds lovely and wonderful. you did really well to get that far into it before running into a wwoof that was less than idyllic. my son matt did one wwoof in new zealand with his little family and had to flee, just walk out over the vast hillsides ten miles to get to anything. the good ones i'm sure 'way outnumber the others. you two sound to be having a marvelous time! keep up the posts! you have fans back here!

    best, james

    ReplyDelete